Re: DMV Non-Op

To: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: DMV Non-Op
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:54:26 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan,
     I did not register my basket case, I just transferred ownership.  Since
the car
had been "off the books" for so long, it had to be inspected by the CHP or
someone
from the DMV.
Well, I had gone through a lot to get the whole package towed to my home and to
get
it over to the DMV now would been too much of an undertaking.  The same women
at the
DMV that clued me into the "special interst vehicle" status of my car said she
had a
freind in the CHP for me to call.  If I mentioned her name he may come to my
house
to inspect the VIN number of my car!  I asked him and he did come to my house.
He
said it was unusual, but since it would be somewhat of a hardship to bring the
car
to the DMV, he would be glad to do it.  Who says all government workers don't
care?
You should have tried a different DMV.  As long as your car is not registered
and
you retain ownership, there is no non-op fee for these cars.  Just don't
register it
until it's ready to be put on the road.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite