cough,splutter!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: cough,splutter!
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 05:03:34 GMT
Greetings,
I ran out of fuel the other day, and I suspect that some crud has found its
way into the carburettor (dellorto DHLA40). The car is not idling weel and
when I put the foot down there is a momentary lack of firing that may even
stop the engine altogether. Does anyone have a suggestion where to attack
the carburettor rather than dismantling the  whole unit? Is there any point
in trying additives that claim to clean fuel systems? Could water have
entered and be responsible.
The engine is revving ok higher up it just at take-off and gear shifts that
the flat spot occurs.
Thanks in advance
Andy Webster