Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.

To: "Larry Cogan" <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:31:45 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Larry,
        I forget what precipitated this repair, but a few things.
        It is OK to use a sealant on the outer diameter of the seal, try to
remove
any high spots on the hub and use an adhesive sealant... Permatex No1 or 2
comes to mind... I would avoid silicones.
        Also, a common cause of axle seal leakage is pressure build-up in the
axle
casing promulgated (can I say that here?) by a plugged/clogged/ undercoated
vent valve.
        Peter C
----
At 12:59 PM 4/3/2000 , you wrote:
>Thanks to all who responded to rear axle nut size...<SNIP>
  Given my screwdriver "marks" in the hub is the problem further
>compounded?  I'd like to put it back, right, one time.  This hasnt been a
>fun job.  All this cause I wasnt getting good braking on rear brakes.  Sorry
>for over long explanation.  In summary:
>     1.  What is right way to remove rear axle seal?
>     2.  Have I rendered the hub toast?
>     C. Is the USA type seal OK to use even if theres no rubber on the hub
>mating side?

The center hole in a roll of duct tape is appropriately larger than a beer can.
Coincidence?