Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, woodrat@spacey.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:19:45 -0700
In my experience, the gaskets are frequenty well oil penetrated and can
often be separated from the surface it's stuck on by gingerly inserting a
razor blade and  lifting the gaket away from the metal. Sometimes a spot or
two may be stuck on and a fine wire wheel brush will complete the job. I've
removed several intact.  When re-assembling, I clean both metal surfaces
with a paint degreaser and I coat both sides of the gasket with Permatex
Ultra-Copper silicone gasket maker. I've done two cars this way and they
don't leak at all. Make sure to replace the O-ring when re-assembling too.

Gerard

At 8:22 PM -0400 4/3/00, DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:
>In a message dated 4/3/2000 2:19:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>woodrat@spacey.net writes:
>
><< what
> is the right way to remove the axle seal from the hub?  >>
>
>I like to use a Scotch Brite pad to remove gasket and seal residue and
>material from metal, such as engine surfaces and hubs.  You can get a Scotch
>Brite kit that fits into your electric drill and will polish the material
>right off the metal without scoring the surface.
>
>--David C.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com