Rear Axle Seal, et al.

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Axle Seal, et al.
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:59:43 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Thanks to all who responded to rear axle nut size....drove a 1 7/8" socket
over the "knurled" nut and off like magic.  Had to rent a puller to get the
hub off, but with the right tool that worked too.  Now the bad news.....what
is the right way to remove the axle seal from the hub?  I finally got it out
with a hammer and screw driver but lightly scored  the surface in the
hub......is that a bad thing?  I have access to another hub if necessary but
will still have to remove the seal prior to installing the new one.  Per
Frank C's thoughts, got an axle seal (Federal Mogul #472164) made in USA.
It is right size but doesnt have rubber on the surface which presses into
hub.  Given my screwdriver "marks" in the hub is the problem further
compounded?  I'd like to put it back, right, one time.  This hasnt been a
fun job.  All this cause I wasnt getting good braking on rear brakes.  Sorry
for over long explanation.  In summary:
     1.  What is right way to remove rear axle seal?
     2.  Have I rendered the hub toast?
     C. Is the USA type seal OK to use even if theres no rubber on the hub
mating side?

Additional subject/question....what lubes the outside rear wheel
bearing....differential fluid?  How does it get past the axle seal?   Haynes
and Bentley say to pack the bearing with grease when installing.  How come
no maintenance schedules mention a repacking schedule?  I took algebra
instead of auto shop in high school.  I have never an occasion to use
algebra......There may be a subliminal message here.  Larry