Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.

To: Larry Cogan <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Seal, et al.
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 09:44:26 -0400
Cc: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Larry:

To add to what WST said, you'll see (if I remember correctly) that the seal
rides against the axle housing, and is closer to the differential than the
bearing is.  So, the shaft in the housing is open and allows lubricant to come
out of the diff to the bearing.  When the seal fails, like mine did, you get
grease all throughout your rear braking system.

This was something I couldn't understand by looking at drawings, but after
taking it apart, I began to understand.  I just looked at the Moss Motors
drawing on their website and see that it suggests the bearing is closer to the
diff than the bearing is.

I removed the seal by pressing it out with a small arbor press.  No scratches.

JJ