Re: Engine Lifting Bracket

To: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>, Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Lifting Bracket
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:02:30 -0700
I think probably the easiest, safest, strongest home made bracket for
lifting the engine is the "C" channel stock plumbers use to anchor pipe to
walls in new construction. I can't remember the correct name, but it has
spaced holes (sometimes round, sometimes oval) which easily adapts to the
valve cover bolts. A large eyebolt in the center makes a good place to hook
your come-along.

Gerard

At 1:01 PM -0400 4/17/00, Bob Spruck wrote:
>Brad:
>I have used the stock lifting brackets numerous times until one of the
>valve cover studs broke on me. We were putting the eng/trans back in the
>vintage race car after a winter rebuild. I had replaced the stock head
>studs with the ARP "strengthened" ones. As we got the engine at the right
>angle to get the trans to clear the battery shelf, the ARP stud broke,
>sending the engine/trans crashing. The oil pan hit the valence panel
>forward of the radiator and the rear seal of the trans hit the concrete
>floor. Nobody's fingers or toes were in the way thankfully. Ever since
>then, I have used a two piece bracket set I fabricated. One is an 18" long
>2"x2" angle iron that attaches to the manifold studs (all six of them) with
>another piece welded to it to allow the chain attachment. The second piece
>goes onto the rear generator mount on the block (two bolts) or to the front
>generator mount on the water pump.
>I got real paranoid about lifting that much weight that high after that
>experience. Since the engine goes in and out of the race car more often
>than the one in a street car, I eventually invested $199 in an engine hoist
>from Sam's Club that has  more than paid for itself in ease of use and
>safety. I can now remove or install the engine by myself. I still keep all
>parts of my body clear. Once you drop an engine, you get real safety
>conscious.
>

>At 08:16 AM 04/15/2000 -0500, Brad Fornal wrote:
>>I was digging through my parts boxes and found one of the engine lifting
>>brackets as shown in the OS&M page 41 (top of the left photo). Does
>>anyone have another one that they would part with? With some of the
>>engine work I have coming up it would be handy to have two of them and
>>BTW exactly where are they supposed to bolt onto, anyone know??   Brad
>Regards,
>
>Bob Spruck
>Sharpsburg, GA
>' 67 Midget Vintage Racer