Re: Electrical question

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical question
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:10:14 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/00 11:54:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
type79@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Back in 1982 when I bought my '72 Midget, the DPO had installed jumper
wires here
 and there and several components worked intermittently. I removed all of the
 jumper wires, took apart every connection, cleaned all of the bullet
connectors
 and cleaned or replaced the black connectors and voila, everything worked and
 continued to work without problems. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, Jay.  I am in this process right now!  I lost all my marker lights
and parking lights due to a shorted wire when I installed the new grille
behind the rubber bumper, and in the course of finding the short, I found all
the DPO jumpers, one of which had caused the short.  (He used a black wire to
jump the left and right parking lights onto one circuit.  Black is supposed
to be a ground.)  I got all the lights working, but they certainly aren't
correct.  I'm waiting for a nice long weekend that I can take a good look and
figure out how to make it right.

One of the problems is that many people don't have a clue when it comes to
reading a schematic or wiring diagram.  Most don't know the difference.
Haynes give a schematic, and Bentley gives a wiring diagram.  Luckily, I can
handle either one.  If you look at the Haynes manual for my '77 Midget, it
looks like there are two fuse boxes with two fuses each.  The Bentley manual
is much better for novices.  It shows what's in the front and rear of the car.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport