Re: PROBLEMS

To: <AHSprite78@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PROBLEMS
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:05:42 -0400
Sounds exactly like the symptoms I had when the battery voltage drops to
about 6 or less volts. As the battery dies it can not power the coil
anymore so the car runns like crap then dies. This happenend to me in
Front Royal, at the top end of Skyline drive. Fortunately there was a car
parts place that could sell me a battery, on a Sunday, and Moss shipped
an alternator to the next campsite. I was glad I did not have to do any
night time driving to get to Monticello. Replaced the alt in pouring
rain.

Larry

At this exact moment in time 5/4/00 1:02 AM, AHSprite78@aol.com made the
profound statement:

>    Well, great weather out so the sprite's back in action.  The car's been
>running ok, not perfect, but it gets me where i need to go.  This
>afternoon I
>decided to go for a drive after school.  Great.  Fill up and head out.
>Car's
>running the same as always.  Oh yea, it had sunoco 94 octane in it with gas
>stabilizer.  Filled up with shell and put some berryman's carb/fuel system
>cleaner in it.  Car ran fine for about 45 minutes.  Parked the car to go see
>catch a baseball game, indians at jacob's field in cleveland.  This was
>around 6 or so.  Get back at 11:30.  Jump in the car, click.  battery's
>dead.
> Ok new alternator last year, go figure it's lucas.  Maybe it's time for a
>GM
>or some other one.
>    Get a jump start from the night watchman.  Car starts right up.  Sounds
>normal.  Back up out of the spot, no problems.  Stick it in first, drop the
>clutch and ease the gas.  Sputter sputter.  backfire all that.  NO POWER.
>Make it up a hill and into second, barely.  push down the gas and nothing,
>the more gas the less power it seemed.  Floored and it just seemed to spin,
>but no reving.  THen it died.  I was going too slow to pop the clutch and
>the
>started wouldn't even consider spinning.
>    What's the problem?  Bad gas?  Not enough voltage to get a decent
>spark?
>Lucas haunting me again?  Wacked out carbs?  ( just rebuilt them)
>Also.... i
>really ran poorly when it was cold, popping and almost clicking out at
>times.
> Sometimes happened at sustained high rpm's.
>
>HELP, I kinda need my car back.
>
>Thanks
>Matt Smith
>'67 Sprite (kind of)