Re: Was Rad. theory. Now Lucas-bashing bashing

To: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>, Spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Was Rad. theory. Now Lucas-bashing bashing
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 10:51:15 -0500
Mike,
        I agree about the grounds, though not Lucas' fault I should think. (You
should look at VW's)
        The early electronic ignition was very bad... how could I forget?
        The alternators were a bit undersized by comparison to American Delco,
but
not by many other manufacturers of the period.
        As to switches..... ask a Triumph owner about his Clearhooters switches!
(a competitor to Lucas who apparently underbid them by a lot)
        But, if we didn't bitch about Lucas.... what would happen to all the
warm
beer jokes?
Peter
----
At 10:25 AM 5/10/2000 , Michael Dietsche wrote:
>The main problems with the Lucas system as presented on our cars are
really not
>with the components themselves (except maybe the switches, which do conk out a
>little sooner than they should, but that's not a biggie).  The problems we see
>are usually related to:
>
>An under-rated alternator.  It's not a bad alternator, but when it drops to 12
>amps output on idle we have a situation there, folks....The designers just
made
>a typical engineering-student error and didn't uprate the thing enough to cope
>with the real world (looks ok but marginal on paper, goes to hades in the
field
>with gradually deteriorating connections and components over time and use).
>Put in the classic Delco 60-amp bulletproof unit and you're set for years.  No
>comment on you generator-powered drivers - don't know how good-bad they are in
>use.
>
>And bad grounds.  For some reason the grounds corrode more easily than
American