Reviving a LBC

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reviving a LBC
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 15:35:59 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi everyone,

When is it too much work to rebuild a classic car?  What do y'all do to keep
grounded in reality while trying to find and rebuild a project car?  I have
an opportunity to redo one of my dream cars, a Mk1 Mini Cooper.  I just
think that the car may be a little to far gone.  The rebuild would require
me to fix the body, which is not as bad as some but still needs a new floor
and repairs to the door hinge mounting area (etc).  The car would also
require me to rebuild the sub frames and suspension, and locate a FWD
A-series motor and gearbox. Everyone knows how popular the Mini is, and most
of the parts are relatively easy to get and inexpensive in comparison to
parts for my Bugeye.  I am trying not to enter into a "Money Pit" type of
situation.  That is, after all the nick name for my Bugeye.  I don't know
what it is about me, but I just like to fix up those poor cars that
would/should end up in the scrap pile.  Try to keep them on the road.

Right now I am unmarried, 22, and have a wonderful full time job that
requires me to travel all the time.  I have been saying for about a year how
it seems that the "Money Pit" is like a child.  It always needs something
(in fact its in college right now  body work time!).  If I did take this
other car, being the perfectionist I am it would take a lot of the green
stuff to get it back together.  The only advantage I can see to doing it
this way is that I will know everything was done correctly and the way I
want it done.  Do any of you have any input on project like this?

Tom Stone
'59 Bugeye "Money Pit"

- If you do it for money, you might build a fortune.  If you do it for love,
you almost always build things to enjoy for a lifetime.  -TS