Re: Water Sprite (not really)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water Sprite (not really)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:17:58 EDT
Frank,
         Recall our conversation re: ice driving on Barnegat Bay, and the
Amphicars some time ago......
  The Amphicar was built in Germany - model years  ca1961 to 1968. Used a
rear mounted  Triumph Herald motor, and  Lucas 12 volt positive ground
system. All convertibles, all identically equipped except for radios (a
marine radio was an option in the US)    Big minus was weight distribution -
on the order of 75/25 with a   hefty  rear passenger!   Red/White/Blue/Green
exteriors, same colors for the  interiors were avail - any combos were okay.
 Hermes gearbox which allows the wheels and propellers to operate all at once
or independently. Front wheels act as rudders.  In 68, the US allotment was
built but refused at the shores by DOT. Corp went bankrupt.
         Model 770  was sole mode   (7 kts/70 mph)    although I was told it
would go 7 feet down for every 70 feet of forward motion.....Currently
selling for $7000 to 20,000 and up depending on condition. Big market right
now .... Three years ago I sold one which I bought as a basket case for $3000
and cleaned up for road use only,  for $8k after advert for 2 weeks.  Could
possibly get $12 today Lots of rust hides in the "bilges" and after a few
years of use following salt water immersion, the cars turn to jello...... A
bit scary at 65 but safe at 45. Don;t make any sudden directional changes
without slowing down, a lack of seatbelts and a rather tippy IRS system
coupled with the weight distrib problem - need I say more?    BTW: not the
best brakes, esp after the shoes have been saturated..... I have a universal
substitute parts list in my files.
        Mark Childers   Union Jack Spares & Repairs Virginia Beach Virginia