RE: Brake up grades.

To: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake up grades.
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:10:08 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Because the Sprite\Midget looks a hell of a lot better than the 80s Toyotas.
The Sprite\Midgets are lighter and probably handle better. Nothing wrong
with mixing Japanese reliability with Euro design (mr2). Now mix in some
American v8 power (AC cobra) and prepare to change underwear. All cars have
their pros and cons, why not have fun and try minimize the cons and
accentuate the pros. A well engineered and fabricated (2 different things
entirely) drive train conversion done properly will surly impress.

Toby
69 Sprite. British Junk
71 Toyota Land Cruiser. Japanese Jeep.
63(7?) Peugeot 404 French Pile of rust.
87 Ford Festiva. Korean car with Japenese engine. <-- refuses to die. I've
tried.

>Why not go all the way and use the Japanese body and chassis, as >>well?

>Jay Fishbein
>Wallingford, CT
>HAN-6 British British Car
>Innocenti-950 Italian British Car
>Innocenti-S Italian British Car
>260-Z Japanese Japanese Car

> At 03:04 PM 7/17/2000, Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com wrote:
> >I'm Back...
> >Been off the list for about a year now and things are going to be slower
> >here for about a month so lets get started.
> >
> >Update: I'm still working on the engine conversion of my '62 Sprite to
the
> >Toyota 18RG (2.0L, dual cams and dual DCOE carbs). I had to rebuild the
> >engine because all the bearing were badly worn (but at least they were
still
> >smooth) and in the process I had everything balanced, upped the
compression
> >to 9.7:1, upgraded the carbs from 40mm to 44mm and added a TRD header.
Best
> >guess is it'll be in the neighborhood of 165 HP easy. The tranny is also
> >Toyota and after I destroy the factory Sprite rear-end I'll be replacing
it
> >with a Mazda.
> >
> >I'm not sure if you've hashed these out lately, but here goes...
> >
> >Q#1. I've decided to attempt the big brake conversion on my Sprite, which
> >I've already upgraded to the standard Spridget disk setup. I've heard
that
> >all I need to do is get a set of Spitfire rotors, MGB calipers and the
> >hub-rotor offset spacer from Mini-Mania. But I've also heard that this
> >conversion it's that straight forward to do because there are issues with
> >the steering arm making contact with the spitfire rotor and the MGB
caliper
> >not being centered over the rotor.
> >So, if what I've heard is true... how have you people handled these
issues
> >or any others for that matter? Are the only solutions to bend the arm and
> >change the rotor offset?
> >
> >Q#2. As I mentioned, I did convert my front brakes from drums to disk but
> >I'm still using the factory 7/8" bore master cylinder. I know that the
> >smaller MC bore will require less foot for the same braking... But is it
> >really noticeable?
> >
> >Q#3. If I decide go with the MGB calipers should I also use the 3/4" MC?
Are
> >the capacities different between the two types of calipers, Spridget &
MGB?