Fw: MGA advice

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: MGA advice
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:37:34 -0400
Bryan,

The MGAs are simple cars. The early ones had 1500 cc engines that gradually
gave way to the 1600 cc engines. They did have a rare engine available in
the last of the run - the 1600 twin cam. I've known about them for over 30
years and finally saw a real one two weeks ago.

They used to be even less expensive than Spridgets on the used market. Since
so many of them rusted away they have appreciated in value greatly.  One of
them at the show was offered for sale at 20K. Not worth it in my opinion but
who knows?

The MGB drivetrain bolts right into an A. Most common is the synchro trans
exchange. The door skins, boot lid and bonnet are aluminum skinned. They
have wood floors. So instead of just rust, you have to look for electrolysis
corrosion and termites!!! The original wire wheels are spoked on the outside
of the rim and only have 48 spokes. Later TR 60 spoke staggered wheels are a
good swap. MGBs have 14 in wires and the As are 15 in.

I've owned a few and have friends that still do. Body parts are getting
harder to come by. At the show I overheard a vender quoting $75 for a heater
box and core. Kinda steep.

I have seen many converted toV-8 and V-6 engines. A small block chevy really
makes them interesting. If you get it, I have a buddy who has a Judson
supercharger for one. He wants to sell it but he won't give it away.

All in all they can be reliable cars good enough for a daily driver.

My two wheatbacks!
Kent