Re: CB Radio

To: dougi@home.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: CB Radio
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 01:26:44 EDT
In a message dated 08/12/2000 8:49:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
dougi@home.com writes:

> Can anyone advise what's involved in installing a negative ground CB radio
>  in a positive ground car. My understanding is that all the components have
>  to be isolated from any chassis ground of the car, and be grounded back to
>  the battery itself. This includes the antenna. Anyone done this?
>
>  And no, I'm not going to change the polarity of the car..........I'm too
>  much of a purist....
>
>  Doug Ingram

Mah son...I believe using an installed CB and the term Purist together in the
same sentence has won you the daily Oxymoron award.

Think hand held, pluged in cigarette ligher, or CB mounted in plywood box,
with aforementioned cigarette lighter plug, on parcel shef, and magnetic
mount antenna.  These magnetic mount antennas do not need a ground other than
the one for the plug.

OH!!!!..if you use the cig plug, be sure to reverse the polarity (cut and
reverse wires) or a very small amount of smoke will be released from the CB
and will only be useful as a trotline weight after that.

Alternatively, hook up a plug, available from Radio shack from under the pure
dash somewhere with the correct polarity for the radio....negative earth.

Good luck and keep the greasy side down ....rogeeerrrrrrrrrrrr! copyyyy?

RHouston...used the plywood box set up as a truck driver....bunji strapped to
the passenger seat.