Re: Dumb question time

To: RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dumb question time
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 18:13:26 -0400
Cc: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, DLancer7676@cs.com, bmantz@roanoke.infi.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
RBHouston@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 08/27/2000 1:05:49 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com writes:
>
> >  believe that is correct except I think 1500 Midget engines have sleeves
> >  normally.
> >
> >  Gerard
>
> I may be corrected...happens to me all the time, but I believe you are
> confusing the TR witht he Spitfires.  I don't think the Spits (and MG 1500's)
> ever had sleeves like the big Massey Ferguson TRs.

  I am equally capable of being very wrong, but...

  What the tractor engine Triumphs had were actually wet liners,
which is a fancy way of saying the bores were sleeves that were
quite easily removed and replaced. They slide in and are sealed
with figure-of-eight gaskets.

  This is a little different than sleeves, which at least in
my knowledge are just sleeves of a different metal that are
machined into a block so that the block can be made of one
material (or quality of material) while the bores can be
made of another or better quality metal.

  That way you can use a cheap cast iron block but without
having to have a cast iron bore.

  Anyway, sleeves are not easily changed without proper
equipment, and as far as I know they don't come ready to
use even if you could insert one, you have to bore them
out when in the block. Wet liners are ready to use.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca