Re: NLBC: Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liability

To: <RBHouston@aol.com>, <jboatri@emory.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NLBC: Was Front suspension rebuild, now product liability
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:40:33 -0400
Not commenting on the current Firestone fiasco. But, I remember
the large scale and definitive British study that started the
connection between  red meat and heart attacks. One conclusion was
that in the 50 to 60 age group twice as many men on heavy red meat
diets had fatal attacks compared to the control group. I looked up
the appendices on the raw data. In a study involving 10,000 men,
in that age group, two red meat guys died versus one non red meat
guy.

That study proved that 50 year olds were a very healthy bunch.
But, the authors obviously had their own agenda, although
technically they did not misrepresent the "numbers".

With coffee, the 'researchers' conveniently could not separate
excessive coffee drinking from 3rd party stress or type-A
personalities. With Red Dye #2 they fed the rats till their eyes
bulged, supposedly to compress the test time scales. CBS staged
the burning pick up trucks and salt no longer causes high blood
pressure.

Why would anybody believe the media, diet book authors or the
grant hungry research community on anything? Their track record is
lazy and pathetic.

Mike L.
60A,67E,59ug