Re: adventures in driving

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>, "Patricia Sauthoff" <Patricia.Sauthoff@blvdmedia.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: adventures in driving
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:11:59 +1000charset="iso-8859-1"
The latching mechanism on a bugeye is very different. In fact I'm
guessing that
Patricia's problem is that the slotted peg that is mounted to the body
at the rear
of the door opening (and passes into the circular hole in the door) is
simply worn.

They are supposed to look like (sorta) tapered cylinders with a
hemispherical
cap and an asymmetric V cut in the side of the cylinder (top surface
is perpendicular
to the axis of the cylinder, the lower surafce at say 45 degrees).

They wear out because people just push the door closed without holding
down the
latch. You are supposed to hold down the lever, close the door,
release the lever.

You then, over time, wear away the side of the peg so that you have a
'ramp' b/n
the slot and the top of the hemisphere. (Hint there is not supposed to
be any flat
surface on the outside oif the peg!)

Thankfully the solution is *very* simple. Just get a replacement peg!
For the
"we tight" brigade, just use a mig welder to add a blob of material to
the worn area
and a file to make it the right shape (done that!)

cheers, Mike