RE: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions

To: "Chris Kotting" <ckotting@core.com>, "Dan Dwelley" <maine2me@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Midgets and Datsun 210 Transmissions
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:27:17 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <DLancer7676@cs.com>, <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>, <davidr@sunset.net>, <froggi@cdsnet.net>, <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Guys
At the risk of sounding like a commercial~!
We, and ONLY we are the vendors for the product range of Frontline Spridget
in the UK, you may be able to purchase the same products from another
source, but at some point it will go to them via Waterloo!

As to the 5 speeds, we use the Sierra 5 speed box, apart from the input
shaft, it is basically the same item as the Merkur BUT!!!! The gearbox case
is interchangeable, the gears are not, unless you were to change the whole
gear set. so you could use the Merkur box but you would have to modify it,
plus the gear ratios are different from the Sierra box and this may or may
not matter to you as a driver.

The Sierra in Europe is, or was a very popular car and a vast percentage of
them had manual transmissions. Where as here in the USA the Merkur is pretty
much regarded as a lemon and did not sell very well at all! Of those that
they did sell the vast majority of them were Automatic transmission. So you
have a two fold problem, first find the Merkur then find one with a stick
shift! Then set about shortening the input shaft which will mean a gearbox
strip etc.
BTW We use basically the same transmission for the MGA MGB Spridget's inc
1500 as well as the Spitfire and TR Triumphs. The ratios vary in these
gearboxes and we get them from.................. Enough already!!!!
I hope this helps to clarify matters and apologies to any Merkur enthusiasts
out there, no offence meant.

Regards
John J Black
Waterloo Drivetrain Systems