Re: Ice And ABS (NO LBC)

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ice And ABS (NO LBC)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 08:33:06 -0500
My $0.02, as someone who is ambivalent about ABS.

Anti Lock Braking (ABS) is a misnomer.  It really should be Controlled
Lock Braking System, because the wheels DO lock with ABS, briefly and
intermittently.  ABS does the same kind of "brake-release" pulsing that
you're taught to do on slick surfaces, however it cycles between
"complete lock" and "release".

A well trained driver with his/her wits about him/her will do about as
well, or even possibly better, by "threshold braking" where the brakes
are held just shy of stopping the rotation of the wheels.  That yields
the theoretically shortest stopping distance.  Now the thing is that
only about 0.5% of all drivers can do this reliably under any
conditions, let alone ALL conditions.

This biggest advantage to ABS in a car is not stopping distance (however
beneficial that is for most drivers), it's the ability to >>steer<<
while your foot reflexively mashes the brake pedal towards the floor.
Even under threshold braking, steering input will change the amount of
braking available (by changing the loading on the tires), and the
changes are dynamic, and occur quicker than humans react.

However, unless you have the wits to >use< that steering capability,
it's not that much help.

The biggest problem with ABS is the gap between what it will do and what
people think it will do.  IT WILL NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU'LL STOP IN
TIME, though most people drive as though it does.

ABS is an improved braking system, but it can't possibly help as much as
improved drivers.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox (on this topic).

Chris K.