Dark Forces!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dark Forces!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:35:46 -0000
Somedays things happen that can only be put down to Dark Forces at
work!
A-series, ribcase gearbox '69 sprite.
Speedo not working, and 10 minutes to spare so I hoisted the car and
undid the speedo drive pinion from the gearbox.  Simple?
Should be, but for some weird reason as I withdrew the nylon gear unit
the pinion gear itself came off the steel shaft and remained inside
the gearbox tail shaft housing.  I could see it just sitting there,
meshed with the worm drive on the output shaft. Went to get a bit of
wire to claw it out with and when I came back it had gone!
I presumed that it had dropped out onto the floor but half an hour of
searching and nothing!
But, I know where it is! The little b****rd had defied gravity and
dropped sideways and forward into the bottom of the tailshaft casing.
I can just feel it in there with the tip of my finger. No way can I
get it out.
Now, can someone tell me, will it do any harm in there?
As far as I know there is no opening for it to get through into the
gearbox.  It seems to be sitting in a little cavity below the three
gear selector shaft lugs that the extension shaft links to.  I can
select all the gears fine, so it is not jamming them (at the moment).
Having pulled the engine & gearbox twice in the last 1000 miles I
would really like to drive the thing a bit more before I have to deal
with this!
Oh great and wise list - what's the verdict?

Guy