RE: Bonnet Opening

To: "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bonnet Opening
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:55:39 -0800 m>
Not weld.... yet.. .but bolt everything together yes. No fiberglass, just
the original 4 pieces bolted together.

Toby,

Did you weld the bonnet, wings, and front valance together or are you
using a fiberglass front piece?

Jeff

>I am working on a similar project for my later 69 sprite. The hinge is
>already made, I just have to get a hood stay in place. Pictures and CAD
>files will be up on my site, in a few weeks. The biggest problem I had,
>which you are not going to have, is the fenders not meeting up with the
>sills. My hood stay should fix the problem on both sides. The other biggie,
>which you are not going to have either, is the front bumper...
>
>I think it is a whole lot easier in a bugeye where the hood\fender\front
>cowl is all one peice and very stiff. On my box sprite, all this stuff is
>ment to be bolted to the "frame" and when it is bolted together, doesnt
have
>as much sniffness as I would like.
>
>Also my probelm is where the front cowl is going to meet the radiator, I
>have to cut some slits for the peice to rotate around the radiator bolts.
>All it all, I think it will be worth it as easy engine access, and not
>scratching up my fenders and just plain coolness. Also the whole shabang
>comes off with 2 bolts for serious engine work which is really nice. I'll
>let the list know when my sprite page is updates with this info.
>

>How difficult is it to change a Bugeye bonnet to hinge forward to open?
>Does anyone have instructions or is there a kit for this?
>Bill
>GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>