RE: Bonnet Opening

To: "William M Walters" <billwalters2@juno.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bonnet Opening
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:10:06 -0500
Mini-Mania makes a hinge kit to convert a Bugeye bonnet to hinge forward. It
is a VERY nice setup that includes everything you need to do a very clean
job. It even includes a connector kit for the bonnet lights. The hinges are
made in such a way that, after unfastening a couple of snap lanyards, you
can simply lift the bonnet off the car when it is in the open position, but
the bonnet is securely fastened when closed. (Forward-hinged bonnet removal
is pretty much required when doing steering rack or radiator work.) It is a
little pricey, but well worth it if you are not skilled at making stuff like
that up with the welder you have in your garage. I don't even own a welder
and don't regret a cent of what the kit cost me. Even if I did have the
equipment, I could have never done such a clean job on the first or even
second try.

My Bugeye originally used a pair of bolts for hinge pins, as someone else
described, and this does work. But I found the setup to be extremely
inferior to Mini-Mania's hinges. Using the bolts, the bonnet doesn't open
nearly as far and is near its balance point, at risk for falling shut, and
over time there will be sheetmetal damage around the hinge point. With the
hinge kit, the bonnet opens to vertical.

The kit is not in their regular catalog, but it appears occasionally in
their monthly flyers.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC