Re: Tranny oil

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@erols.com>, "Gerard Chateauvieux" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny oil
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:24:51 +1100
Cc: "spridgets team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> What about them?  Are they different? yes.  But they are still governed by the
> same laws.  A synthetic oil is a superior oil though, so it tends to not need
> so many additives.

Synthetics are more temp/viscosity stable and have markedly superior high
temperture
properties (they don't breakdown at hot spots like the ring landings), however
I'm not
sure that they have better mechanical properties.

* UNINFORMED CONJECTURE*
I vaguely recall a comment from a Mobil tech expert that Mobil 1 wasn't suitable
for
gearbox use because its shear properties were inadequate for the application.
This could
be a figment of my imagination I guess, but I haven't used Mobil in my gearbox
for a number
of years now and *I* believe it is because of that comment.

I'd be *very* surprised if molybenum wasn't useful in a synthetic (to give EP
properties)

If anyone has real facts, I'd like to hear them.

Mike