Re: Tranny oil

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny oil
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:58:36 -0500
Cc: Steven Fooshee <sfooshee@home.com>, spridgets team <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Walk into any dealership, and they will offer to sell you their own name oil
(Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Harley, etc).  It is "specially formulated" for their
engines.  Is it?  Within the DOT limits it could be.

The claim is rather meaningless.  What there is, are limits on the amounts of
additives that can be added.  As for the "high reving" "high performance engine"
"truck formulated" "motorcycle" etc claims, thats all just basic advertising
hype.  Perfectly legal and misleading.

It's that way with everything from engine oils to ice cream, soda pop to
automobiles, airlines to diapers.  Each one insisting that theirs is better then
the other guy, and somehow different.  Sure, Pepsi may be a bit different then
Coke, but they are both soft drinks.

My Honda Magna went over 60K miles on Castrol GTX before I decided to open it up
and replace the  bearings.  That's an engine that normally self destructs in
under 20K miles.  With camshaft replacements at 12K.  Everything was fine on
mine
running automotive engine oil.  The engine is now approaching 70K miles, with no
problems.

And no, Castrol is not formulated for "todays high reving engines".  :-)