Re: A little controversy...

To: boxweed@thebest.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A little controversy...
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 06:46:55 -0600
Bob:

> If you truly "care about that stuff", then you would have to know
> that copying ANY part of a copyrighted publication is considered an
> infringement on the copyright without the permission of the author.

I'm going to respectfully disagree, as I think that copyright laws allow
for 'fair use' (I think it's found in Title 17 US Code).  The copying of
a reasonable amount of material for use as references, documentation, or
educational use probably falls in that category.  My understanding is
that infringement occurs when a person copies whole segments of
materials, without a legitimate purpose, and doing so denies the
copyright holder the financial benefit or intellectual control or his or
her property.

Taken to its bitter conclusion, "copying ANY part" would cover quoting
material in writing (whether cited, attributed, or not), making a copy of
the torque settings page of a manual to prevent wear and tear on the
pages while rebuilding the engine, referring by spoken word to
information contained in the book, photocopying newspaper articles of
your child's achievements to send to relatives, taping or recording a
television broadcast to watch later, etc, etc, etc....

Since the book was written to provide information as a reference (in
other words, to provide an authoritative source for questions regarding
LBCs), the copyright holder would have a hard time convincing me (anyway)
that copying a couple of pages to document the answer to a question about
an LBC is both unreasonable and somehow infringing his copyright rights.
Now, if you were to copy a whole chapter and sell it as an appendix to
your new pamphlet on "Installing Widgets on Spridgets," or copy the
entire book for a buddy so that he doesn't have to buy a copy, well,
that's a whole 'nother story....

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.  A person who has
any concerns or questions should contact an attorney of their choice for
advice.

LBC Content:  I once drove to the copy store in my LBC to have a wiring
diagram enlarged.

Rich -- Council Bluffs, Iowa
'74.5 RB MGB "Miss Maggie"
'79 Midget "Miss Molly"
'86 Ford Crown Victoria LTD "BarcaLounger on Wheels"
richard.arnold@juno.com  or  rdarnold@neonramp.com
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

///