Lets Agree To Disagree

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, spr <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=iso-8859-1
Subject: Lets Agree To Disagree
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:03:55 -0800
Wow Frank  - get a life! Open your eyes!  My 89 Honda Civic Si has 180k miles
on it and loves to rev. I can haul my string bass in it because it's a
hatchback,
yet it's small and easy to park. On California's lousy gas, I still get 30mpg
averaging 75 (to go teach traffic violators school!) with the AC on.  It handles

super, carries four in comfort, and kids wanta buy it off me 'cause it's a
classic.

The first one I had, I spun and flew backwards into a tree at 40 (broken water
main halfway round a corner). Destroyed the car, but it saved me. Seatback
deformed, bent the steel headrest rods. Thank you v much! I kept the wreck.

I bought another of the same with 100k on it and ran it several years. When the
engine went, I pulled the wreck's and put in a timing belt. What a sweetheart!
They just run and run - and scream whenever you want. Their engineering
is awesome. incredibly thorough - makes British look like stone-age.

You sure don't have to like them, but for an enthusiast with a lead foot who
wants a foxy little screamer that is reliable and well built "Japanese" cars
(mine was made in Canada) are a terrific option.

The thinner steel they talk about is higher strength and the lighter weight
goes toward performance. Bodymen do find them harder to pound out.
The engines are precision instruments, based upon motorcycle engineering.

American cars used to be great. Gimme an old Chevy II with the stovebolt
six and it'll run forever. It won't handle or stop and it takes up too much
space,
but you can work on it and even understand it. Yeah and there's more room
in the backseat for recreation.  And I was young once.........

It is a comfort that the Honda is based upon the Mini, which speaks volumes
about British spirit and creativity.  The industry in America has lost the
thread
and it is a damn shame. GM knows how to style a turkey. Ford's new Tbirt is a
very sad joke. Chrysler rediscovered the automobile, but sold out to Mercedes
and lost it's soul.  We can hold our hopes, like breath, and probably fall
over.

Tenderly,

David McCartney
  71 Midget
  72 Mini PU
  69 Austin America
  89 Hinda Civic Si

Frank Clarici wrote:

> Trevor Boicey wrote:
>
> >   Why are you comparing American "collectables" to Japanese
> > standards like Corollas and Coronas?
>
> I wasn't.
> Some said something about Vegas, Citations, Pintos.
> Unless they are collectables now.
> The japs don't make collectables other then maybe some Z cars or early
> Datsun (MGB lookalikes) Oh yeah the Honduh 600 (Mini lookalike) is
> collectable too.
> Since you are the one hellbent on the "printed word"
> Remember this....
> I have 3 bumper stickers, I bought them at different car shows.
> 1 says "Jap Cars Suck"
> 1 says "30 years later jap cars still suck"
> 1 says "only a wang would drive a jap car"
> Yes I also have the "all parts falling off this car are of the finest
> english workmanship" sticker but....

///