Re: Auction Sniper?

To: "James Kleemeyer" <jkk@adams.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auction Sniper?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:14:11 -0400
Funny you should bring this up. Just today I downloaded a thing like this
called "Cricket Jr." Pretty neat if you're into sniping. It's not free, and
I don't know if I'll buy it or not. It has a 15 day trial period. Does seem
a little buggy, though. I was playing around with the sound/alarm settings
in it and it crashed with some error, but the sound kept playing. I'm on Win
2000 so I popped up the Task Manager to try to kill it, and it wouldn't die!
Couldn't even shut down - had to power off. So don't play with the sounds if
you try it. Otherwise it worked fine on the one auction I tried it out on,
though I don't think there was a lot of bidding for the item anyway. If
anyone's interested you can check it out at:

http://www.worldint.com/journeys/ebay/snipe/chris/cricket%20jr.html

Setup was annoying - on first run it went through this "Setup Wizard" which
was really little more than a bunch of screens describing the features, and
not even how to use it very well. About all that was actually "setup" was
entering my time difference from Pacific zone and my ebay username/password.
But once I was through that it seemed fairly obvious how to use it. Pay
close attention to entering your bid amount though - spaces get interpretted
as 0s. It does warn you about this, which is good since I almost bid 210.00
on something instead of 21.00!

No financial interest, yada yada, not even sure if I'm a satisfied customer.

(Obligatory Spridget content) Maybe I'll use it to try and get a tonneau
that fits - the one that came with my car has shrunk quite a bit and when I
tried it today for the first time I discovered it was about 1 1/2" too
short! Phooey! And I had spent a lot of time hand-sewing a new zipper in! Oh
well, maybe just save up for a new one.

Eddie
1971 Midget

> Has anybody heard of "Auction Sniper" or something to that effect? I saw
it
> once on an e-bay page and was going to check it out and of course can't
find
> it now. Man, I'm tired of getting weenied out in the last minute of
bidding.
> I lost a billet oil pump for a H-D the other night, somebody bid about ten
> times in the last couple of minutes til they beat me. (3:00 am) This
> "sniper" is supposed to prevent that sort of thing I think.
>
>                                  Jim K.

///