Re: Auction Sniper?

To: "WFO Herb" <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Auction Sniper?
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:33:58 -0400
Cc: "James Kleemeyer" <jkk@adams.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Oh, I know about that. And depending on the the item and price I'll go that
way with it. Did that with some door and window seals for the Midget just
recently. Won some vent window seals which appear to be a little hard to get
(I think MiniMania has them, but Moss and VB don't seem to) but missed the
waist seals and door seals because they went more than I was willing to pay,
and they seem to be more commonly available.

However, there are a lot of times I will try to snipe. One is when there's
some item I'd like to have, but I don't really want to pay a lot for it and
I don't really *need* it. The item I won with Cricket Jr. that I was talking
about was like that - a game controller for the PC. Around 50 new at retail,
typically in the 30-40 range ebay new. This one was slightly used with no
box, so I thought what the heck, let's see what happens. So I played around
with sniping it. Sniping can be almost a game too, just seeing if you can
get the bid in and win at the last minute against others doing the same.

Another time I'll use it is if there is an item that I want/need, it isn't
available otherwise, and I expect it to go for more than I can afford. Say
that based on previous auctions I know something will probably go for around
200, but I really can't afford more than 150. If I put in 150 early, then I
expect it will quickly go past what I can afford. So I watch it and if it's
still below my threshold near the end, I'll put in 150 and hope I win.
Actually I often put in odd amounts just a bit over may max (if I think the
item is worth it) like 153.79 just to try and outwit other snipers who may
be sneaking up on the amount. Admittedly this situation isn't great for the
seller perhaps, but that's the chance you take putting something up with a
low starting bid and no reserve. I've also seen last minute sniper fenzies
shoot items beyond their worth, so sometimes the seller makes out with
sniping too when the game becomes more important than the item and cash.

I've sniped and I've been sniped. But its part of the game and I enjoy it.
If you rely on the autobid (proxy) and get beaten by a sniper, so what? You
bid your max and it's no different being outbid at the last minute or at the
first. If you didn't bid your true max first time, then you're open to being
sniped. So either bid max first time or be a sniper. Anything else and
you'll probably loose if the item is popular at all.

Enough on this for me. I just enjoy the game.

Eddie
1971 Midget

> Ebay has a feature call "autobid".  You set the maximum you will pay and
it stays
> ahead of those bidding.  Now if others are using autobid... I don't have a
clue
> what happens.  At least you have your maximum.
> Herb

///