Re: 1500 5-speed conversion

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 5-speed conversion
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:36:14 EDT
In a message dated 4/26/01 10:15:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

> They also state that the T5 was commonly used in the US behind V-8s in Ford
> Mustangs, Chevrolet Camaros and others.  Does anyone know if this is
> fact of fiction?  If it is fact it just has become easier to find that
> 5 speed for the 1500 Midget.  Any thoughts?

Bill -
Yes, some Mustangs did use the T-5 tranny, don't know about Camaros & others.
Don't which Mustang models or years but the Ford dealers should be able to
clarify.

A few weeks ago I was checking out a local source (Greater Auto Salvage,
Costa Mesa, CA) for the T-9 tranny used in the A-series 5speed conversion. He
also had several T-5s (from Mustangs he said), which he explained are larger
than the T-9s so not suitable for going into a Spridget.

Are you sure the 1500 conversion trans was the T-5 or the T-9? Even the T-9
required cutting the trans tunnel in a Spridget, which is why I personally
chose to go the Datsun route.

Good luck

Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano CA