Re: 1500 5-speed conversion

To: "Spridget mail list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 5-speed conversion
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:22:04 -0400
I have friends who have owned 80's vintage Camaros and Firebirds, and they used
a Borg Warner T5. I don't know if it's the same as the Sierra transmission
though.

A thought, though. If it takes some cutting and welding to add a T5, you may be
able to go one step further and install the T56 6-speed from the 93+
Camaro/Firebird. I don't know how much bigger the T56 is over the T5.

YMMV.

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu

From Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy at verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:04:51 -0400

I seem to remember that the conversion used a Ford
>T5 transmission from  a Merkur XR4Ti (Ford Sierra in Europe).
>
>I was reading "Practical Classics", Spring 2001 and on page 107 they
>have an article about putting a V-8 into a Capri GXL.  The mentioned
>that they will be using a Brog Warner T5 transmission from a Sierra.
>They also state that the T5 was commonly used in the US behind V-8s in Ford
>Mustangs, Chevrolet Camaros and others.  >

///