Re: Purchase Question

To: jaybird@isoc.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Purchase Question
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:10:06 EDT
In a message dated 5/11/2001 9:50:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jaybird@isoc.net writes:

> ,
>     I was just offered a 79' RB Midget. Not running/stored in garage 2yrs.
> Body
> and paint are good with no structural rust, 5 wire wheels, radio and 50,000
> miles. A good look over Showed that it needs tires, complete brake system,
> battery, belts, hoses and a tune. Interior is in very good shape only
> needing minor carpet repair. Top has a hole in it. All emissions are in
> place. Price is $500.00 . I know nothing about values of RB cars. Is this a
> fair price considering I'm gonna hafta stick at least that in it to get it
> to daily driver status? Any info is appreciated!

Jay:

That sounds like a winner to me, but I would offer less because it isn't
running and is going to need a lot of work to get it on the road.  Is it not
running because the engine is frozen, or is the engine turnable?   But with
no structural rust, wires, good interior, and with engine and running gear in
place, it should be well worth the $500, in my opinion.  You will probably
have to replace most of the rubber stuff--it tends to deterioriate when it
just sits for a long period of time. I paid $3200 3 1/2 yeas ago for my '79
RB Midget that was running well and looked really good, with lots of new
stuff--top, interior, carpeting, paint, Weber DVAG, and detoxed engine, if
that helps.

--David C.