Re: HELP...need advice!

To: "Tracey Converse" <converse@swbell.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HELP...need advice!
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:27:52 -0400
> 3. Wiring...ARRRGH! Where can you find a GOOD diagram perhaps color coded
> of the wiring for a 75 Midget?
>
> 4. Books...what do you guys suggest I buy??? Lord knows, I need the help!

I know I'm echoing what others have said here, but Haynes and Bentley are
the probably the most common sources for this info. But watch out for the
Haynes diagrams - they are rather inconsistent. Some of them are exactly the
same as the Bentley ones, while others (as Allen pointed out) are more
schematic-like. I have a 1971 Midget, and so I have the 1275 Bentley manual
so I can't say anything for certain about the diagrams in the 1500 manual,
but at least for the 1275 some of the Haynes diagrams are flat out wrong -
including the one for the 1971. I can say that the diagrams for the 1500 in
Haynes look suspiciously simple, but perhaps that's a result of their more
"schematic-like" layout. But at a glance the 1500 diagrams looks simpler
than the later 1275 ones, and that just doesn't "look right" to me.

So get both, but be careful to check both manuals against what you actually
see in the car.

BTW, is the 1500 manual still in print? I think the 1275 is not and is a bit
hard to come by now. Don't know about the 1500. Or maybe I'm all confused
;-)

Another good book if you get into really going for "correctness" is Terry
Horler's "Original Sprite and Midget" (OSM). This is unfortunately out of
print, but sometimes they show up on eBay, and a few weeks ago someone
posted an Australian web site that had them pretty cheap, even considering
postage to the US.

I also agree with Allen's suggestion to photocopy and highlight. I did this
when I first started in on the wiring - made a bunch of copies and on each
copy highlighted a separate circuit (headlights, turn signals, hazards,
etc.) and kept them handy. Even better if you can enlarge them a bit.

Good luck!

Eddie
1971 Midget