Re: State of current British cars

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: State of current British cars
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:15:36 -0400
Cc: SDOliner@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank Clarici wrote:
> Impossible for the back yard mechanic to fix?

  The backyard mechanic who refuses to learn anything
designed after 1970? Maybe so, but that's the mechanics
fault not the car.

  I fix all my cars, 1958-1998 currently. It's all
just wrenches. It's not like I was born knowning how to
set points, I had to learn that the same as learning
how to change the timing belt on a DOHC or debug
a throttle position sensor.

> Safer? Wanna go head on with a 49 Packard?

  Why is it so hard to debunk the myth that big solid
hunks of steel are safe?

  If you were designing knee pads, would you make them
out of 16 gauge steel?

  Why would you expect a car built that way to be
safe either?

  I guess it's safer for the car, you can likely hose
down the insides, pound out the fender and sell it
again. However, if I'm in a big accident, screw the
car, I'm worried about myself and my passengers.

> Will there be
> electronic bits and spare computers for it then? What about the 1000 sensors,
> will they still be available?

  Hey, you can still find dozens of places in Europe
that will pump up your Citroen suspension spheres.

  If that doesn't prove that even the most archaic
devices can be repaired if the market still exists,
nothing will.

  In the future, if people need repairs and parts for
old computers, the industry will serve them, same as
the industry that serves us with parts for our spridgets.

  I'm sure somebody in the 60s said "disk brakes? How
are you going to get disk brakes for a Spridget in
the year 2000? No way, stay with drums".

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca