RE: Fw: Bonnet Release

To: "chuck" <chuckc@attglobal.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fw: Bonnet Release
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:31:01 -0700 m>
>OY-BTW - what determines on which side of the car the 4"
>round hole is? On my '72, I see nothing on the left side one
>could reach an arm thru.

When I had the original canister type oil filter on my 69 Sprite (my gawd I
hated that canister filter) The ONLY way to get the new filter together and
back on was with 3 hands, one through that hole. I am pretty sure that's the
only reason it is there.

That oil canister man. It takes like 2 hands to hold everything together and
compress some spring inside it, and another hand to tighten the through
bolt. And don't forget the whole thing is full of oil, overflowing and
making everything slick, and dripping in your face. Only did the job twice
tho... before converting to spin on. (so much better)

I think they converted to spin on in 70 or 71 If I am not mistaken. Maybe
the left the hole there to avoid re-tooling? dunno.

Toby