Re: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)

To: RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:52:50 -0400
Cc: gjbranch@mediaone.net, Ajhsys@aol.com, Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
> OK...so what is the proper method for measuring dirt resistance?  Trevor?

  It would be too variable to count on anywhere
near the surface, because the resistance depends extremely
heavily on moisture content. If it rains, and there are
some salts in the ground to ionize the water a little,
the conductivity might actually become reasonable.

  Grab a big spike and get out the multimeter. ;>

> Would small length of chain from the back bumper, dragging
> on the ground work?

  Not likely, pavement isn't very conductive either. Although
I've kind of forgotten what the original plan was to do
with the ground.

  Some cars have straps that drag on the ground to dissipate
static. (again, static is high voltage/low current so even
a high resistance path to ground will dissipate it)

  I think they use them for people who get carsick too. I
remember as a kid the popular rental car was a big
new yorker and the inside would get so staticky you
could smell it. All that fake velour interior made
out of nylon.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca