Re: Re[2]: tires?

To: "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>, "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: tires?
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 22:17:26 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill,

>                 ok.. sticky isn't as much fun then... anybody running
>                 bias ply's? .. seems they would slide the best.. plus
>                 they are much more progressive as they loose grip..
>
>                 i have received several replies about wider rims,
>                 flaring the fenders, adding spacers... NOT GONNA
>                 HAPPEN... am looking for what works on STOCK RIMS, no
>                 body DAMAGE!..

I don't think there are any good reasons to go with cross-plys. Depending on
which rim you have (the rostyles are 4.5" and can take most of the 175/60
tires),
the Falken FK07U 155R13  (it could be /60 or /70 profile - I can't recall of the
top of my head) or the equivalent Falken GRB410RS are *excellent* tires. The
later are the highest performance tire you can get in 155. Mind you, they may
have
changed the designation since I last looked...

I have a set of 155 Riken tyres I use on standard rims  for the rear wheels at
motorkhanas. Those that have seen the mpg videos on the AHSDC website
will have seen them in action - I use them on the rear to create a mismatch
between front and rear grip - a mega case  of oversteer. They are good for
creating lots of tire smoke!

Mike