Re: Paint and Chrome

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint and Chrome
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:13:03 -0700
All that a true clear coat is, is a final layer of paint with no pigment
added.  It will not peel if proper preparation procedures are followed,
anymore than the third coat of a colored paint would peel.  Depending on the
temperature, humidity, and paint formulations, what needs to take place
between coats of paint varies.  A good painter will know based on
temperature and humidity, how long to wait between coats and which reducer
to mix with the paint for proper adhesion.  Wait a little too long, and you
have to wait a day, wet sand and then shoot the clear.  Shoot it too early,
and it runs, shoot it too dry, and it orange peels, improper prep, and it
fish eyes.  My car is painted with PPG Deltron  Acrylic Urethane base
coat/clear coat.  When completed, this formula of paint can be wet sanded
and buffed to a lacquer-like shine.  My Falcon has PPG Delstar Acrylic
Enamel.  It is a single stage paint.  I keep both cars garaged, yet the
Falcon needs buffed yearly to remove oxidation and restore the shine.  Both
cars were painted in 1993 by the same painter.  The MG was a no cost spared
paint job, and it shows it.  The Falcon was done inexpensively, but has been
more work to maintain.  Miracle (and probably Maaco et al) use synthetic
enamel if I remember correctly, which is the least stable against fading and
environmental damage (it's also cheap).  So if you have them spray the
paint, make sure you provide your own paint, and that they are familiar with
shooting that formula.  Most private body shops will do what's known as a
"wrap and shoot".  That means you remove everything like bumpers that you
don't want painted, do all the body and prep work.  All they do is degrease,
mask, and shoot.  Guarantee is limited to no runs, minimal orange peel, even
depth of metallic.  It should run about $200 plus materials.  Beer is
usually a good tip.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon