Re: Rear brake springs

To: "Steve Jones" <s-jones@swbell.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear brake springs
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:05:01 +0100
>From what you have said I thgink you are trying to hook the spring
into the little hole in the end of the handbrake lever tab, where it
comes through the odd shaped cut out in the brake shoe?
If I have interpreted this right - then don't!  That hole is NOT for
the brake pull-off springs.  I believe in an earlier life it had a
split pin to prevent the lever dropping out of the shoe.  Not needed.

The springs simply hook between one brake shoe and the other.  The
longer tail on one end of the top spring is so that the straight bit
of wire will lie alongside the hand brake lever and not foul it. Still
difficult to explain!
Hook up the top spring first, and one end of lower spring. Both
springs hook in from the rear of the shoes. Use 3, 4 or more hands to
hold it all together whilst you loop it over the hub. Hook up second
end of lower spring and then lever the brake shoe ends one at a time,
first onto the pistons at top, and then the cams at bottom, in that
order. Once you've done it once it is easy!

Guy