Re: painting advice wanted

To: fergie9 <fergie9@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: painting advice wanted
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:49:06 -0800
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Fergie,

Given yuor remarks, I would strongly recommend stripping to bare metal.
This is a lengthy, messy, time consuming process. You car will be down for
longer than you expect if you go this route. I have done this process at
least 5 times on different cars so I know. Unless you have rust that has
migrated under the paint, the base paint you have on there is best left in
tact. Sand off the last coat of paint (respray) prime the car in a basecoat
that is close to the final color you plan to use and then add your color
coat. PPG makes a tintable primer that will allow you to get a close range
to your color coat and it is a good sealer. Use 320 sandpaper and a
degreaser/cleaner to wipe everything down before you paint. Use a "long
board" to sand (available from a paint supplier) if your doing any cosmetic
bondo or glazing. The key to a good looking  and long lasting paint job is
in the prep. If you prep a car well, you will save yourself a bunch for a
final paint job. All that said, if you are not painting yourself, you
should line up a shop and find out the cost BEFORE you start. Painting is a
very expensive endeaver these days, even for JUST the paint.

P.S. If you want to see what's involved with a "bare metal" job, check this out

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/GarageContent/Sprite_Collection/MKIV_Collection.htm

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -