Fw: painting advice wanted

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: painting advice wanted
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:25:06 -0500
The acid that they use is a caustic acid. It will eat everything except good
(steel) metal. The rust, bondo, aluminum parts left attached, etc., will be
removed. The dipping process takes a few days in most cases. If you dip your
engine block you will loose the ID tag and have a pair of rivets holding
nothing!

I had my car body, bonnet, engine block, gas tank, doors, and roll bar
dipped about 20 years ago for $550. If you can get it done for the $600
quoted by other listers you have a bargain! I rinsed mine out a few times
after I got it back just to make sure the caustic was thoroughly removed.
During my rinsings I would reposition the car to drain the water out
differently each time, hoping to move any residual caustic out of the low
spots.

I had a few rust holes behind the rear wheels repaired with lead filler
instead of bondo. The car was then painted with Centauri and it still looks
pretty good today! I have not experienced any flaking or rusting. It is not
a trailer queen but was an autocrosser up until a couple of years ago. With
that in mind, you need to know that it only went out on nice days and the
only water that it got on it was from washing it.

All in all my experience with dipping was very positive.

Kent
1960 Bugeye

From <Dbcooper292 at aol.com>
Subject: re: painting advice wanted