Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:20:23 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com> wrote:
> Paul,

> It's not unusual to find the rings either broken of just
> completelty stuck
> in the ring land, doing abousoltely nothing for you. I'd
> gusss the later or
> a combination of both since it's been sitting so long. If
> opened 4 or 5
> engines in the last year and with the exception of one
> that was recently
> rebuilt with new positons, NONE of the pistons were
> usable because the ring
> lands were too wide.
Not familiar with that problem! All Spridget engines? Is
this a problem with these engines? or the pistons?

>I hate to be break the news to you,
> but I doubt
> seriously you'll get away with just rings.

;-(  I really don't need to hear that right now!  ;-(
I'm bummed! I was looking foreward to tossing it around the
corners and having a good ol' time! Now I guess I'll have
to wait!

or.....after pondering a bit.....and drinking my sole last
beer I have been lusting after all day!  now i feel a bit
better!

.....Well you don't know me yet!  ;-)
Seriously! some of my friends have been amazed at the luck
I sometimes have and the things I can get away with at
times.  It's probably worth the chance, isn't it?

> It's probably
> a waste of tme any
> money to try it and you'll likely end up with just a
> disassembled engine.
> Leave it alone until you can come up with a better
> solution. At least you
> can drive it now.
Not really.....

It barely gets out of it's own way to tell the truth!
(besides...I am one of those people that have a real hard
time leaving anything alone.....)

Is there any chance you can take off the head and drop teh
pan with the block still bolted in? I have done this on BMW
1600's and 2002's......Rover and ford v-8's......crossing
fingers......of course I don't think I still ahve my cyl
hones....will have to get a new one....but it's amazing
what you can do when you're poor and are
resourcefull.....just wanted to learn from people who have
maybe done some of this before with this engine....by the
way...I'd swear i saw a plate on the side of the engine
that said 1100?  you said from teh head it was a 1275, but
this plate was on the block....I winder what I really have
here...I need to look again in the morning...

I'm thinking of taking off the head and having a look at
the cyl. walls for condition...than if I can drop teh pan
and tako off the big end bolts, I can push up the pistons
and have a look....have you done this ever?

maybe I should just do as you say and let the sick pup sit
until there is more $$ available, but I hate to just sit
and do nothing! I guess I really should pull out the engine
hoist and just pull the puppy? I no longer have a engine
stand, but as it's a purty small engine, I could put it on
the bench for rebuild, but hate doing that. I think I will
call my friend who was talking of getting rid of his stand,
as it's closer than driving up to Santa rosa to get the one
from my dad......

Oh! what do you think about the extremely high reading in
#4??? What is good comp in one of these engines? I had
giessed 150# or so?

Paul
settling down for a bummed out saturday night........
two broken rovers....one broken midget, a lame Duc.....I'm
afraid to try on my roller-blades or pull one of the bikes
down from the hooks....as with the way my vehicular luck is
going they all will have some sort of a problem.....and I
just drank my one and only beer......

> At 5:11 PM -0700 4/13/02, Paul Archibald wrote:
> >I've been putting this off, as I had a feeling I knew
> from
> >day one what was teh problem when I bought the l'il red
> >beastie......

http://taxes.yahoo.com/