Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com> wrote:

> I'd mic the jounals too while you're in there. You'll
> either get lucky and
> be able to just replace bearings, or at least know the
> condition of you
> can't. You won't be able to remove the front main cap
> without pulling the
> timing cover and gears though. There are two set screws
> the pass through
> the front mounting bracket. I don't think you can remove
> the rear one with
> the back plate in plce either.
good idea! better safe than sorry. I've done a quickie
before by replacing all bearing and rings with std.
amazingly it worked great and the engine was running strong
two years later with 150 accross all four.
wasn't planning on taking out the mains if I was just
dropping the pan, but if I pull the engine it's another
story...right?  ;-)

> >> number? I can tell you more form that.
> >no....no plate there at all....
>
> You'll need to mic the journal for size then, There are
> two size mains.
> Early were 1.75" (same as 948) and later were 2.0" (same
> as 1275)
so.....I'm hoping it's a late, right? ;-) I take it the
late 1100 engines have a stronger bottom end? by the way is
the 1275 larger bore? or just long-throw crank?

> If you have the two gauge unit, compare pressure in to
> pressure out. You
> should have no more than a 10 percent drop. If I remember
> correctly, you
> want each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.
> Listen where the air
> is escaping... exhaust manifold (exhaust valves), carbs
> (intake valves),
> valve cover (oil filler) radiator (bubbling), crankcase
> (rings).
oh year! now it is all coming back!  I wasn't remembering
this afternoon....Duh! No I no longer have the two gauge
unit. I left that in my roll-away at my dad's shop when I
moved down to San Jose State to let the other mechanics use
my tools in an emergency.....apparently some aircraft
owners decided to riffle through my tools while I was away
for a year before I moved into a house and went back to
Santa rosa to get all my tools/etc...lost quite a bunch of
really nice tools.....incl that leak-down testor  ;=(
....never did it on an auto engine actually...I'm used to
doing it while playing with a propeller and being really
carefull!  ;-0  just realized I probably got a wrong
reading on leak-down on the bike now I think aboot
trying to think about how the manifold on the two gauge
unit is, and if I can fab one up from what's laying
around....gotta thonk about how it was set up, and dig
through my boxes of welding/co2/helium/etc gauges laying
around..........hmmmmmm

Paul
http://taxes.yahoo.com/