Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com> wrote:
> >Not familiar with that problem! All Spridget engines? Is
>
> >this a problem with these engines? or the pistons?
>
> Just my experience recently. Plus if you install new
> rings without
> removing the ridge you likely have at the top, you'll
> break the new
> rings.
Two words.......

Ridge-Reamer!  ;-)
(sorry I realize you ahve notmet me yet...I tend to have
pretty much whatever I need laying around from some
previous project or deal, or can find a friend who does if
not..)  ;-)  ...and nothing scares me much....it's always a
good learning experience if I have not doen it before, anc
arer that it can even be fun at times.....I used to be able
to drop a vw engine in five minutes, and actually get one
back in in about fifteen when in college as that was my
first car, and I learned all sorts on that, my GT-6, all
the bms's, mg's, jensen healeys, various land-rovers of all
vintages, etc.....even worked on a few chebby v-6 and v-8's
and a couple ford 302's   so...it's all kind a a big game
to me. not that I would ever call myself an expert at
anything, I'm always learning, but am purty comfortable
around the garage.......now if I can just get the
machine-shop tools converted down to single phase, I can
really start playing. I have the phase converters on the
shelf, but am a little afraid of messing up the electrics,
so am waiting for someone who can help me do it right, as
that kind of voltage is purty serious...

 >As I said, everyone I oened up had weak, stuck
> and/or broken
> rings. Even though the pistons looked reusable, I had the
> machine shop
> check the ring lands. Every set was a "no-go" except the
> engine that
> already had new AE's installed.
hmmmmmmm!
well that idea of new pistons....

> >>I hate to be break the news to you,
> >> but I doubt
> >> seriously you'll get away with just rings.
> >
> >;-(  I really don't need to hear that right now!  ;-(
> >I'm bummed! I was looking foreward to tossing it around
> the
> >corners and having a good ol' time! Now I guess I'll
> have
> >to wait!
>
> Not as bummed as you'd be tearing the engine down to find
> your plan is a
> bust.
so true!  ;-(  at least I can put around he neighborhood
right now.......

> >.....Well you don't know me yet!  ;-)
> >Seriously! some of my friends have been amazed at the
> luck
> >I sometimes have and the things I can get away with at
> >times.  It's probably worth the chance, isn't it?

> I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my experience,
> that odds are
> against you. You don't want me to tell you the whole
> story do you?
> Better have another beer...
only over a few...and right now as I stated, I am all
out.....down to drinking the lemonade I made the other
day...just not the same!

> >Is there any chance you can take off the head and drop
> teh
> >pan with the block still bolted in?

> ...and do what? The pistons won't come out the bottom,
> even if you could
> get the crank out of your way with the engine in place
> (you can't).
???????  No Comprende!   the bottom?????
pull the head, as it can prolly do with a quickie valve lap
job while off at the cost of just a head gasket, manifold
gasket, and what else? I guess valve-stem seals too...

than drop the pan, unbolt the big-end bearings, than simply
push up the pistons 'til they pop out the top  (remember my
comment about the ridge reamer above.....obviously give all
four a once over before pushing up the piston..)......than
a quickine hone of the cylinder walls, followed by a good
cleaning of any debris...followed by installation of either
new pistons, or the origionals with fresh rings......slap
on the fresh head gasket, head, manifolds etc...and
violincello!  ;-)   (Always wondered why the viola always
gets all teh attention...why not basoon or Obo?) ;-)
no?  ;-/

 > >way...I'd swear i saw a plate on the side of the engine

> >that said 1100?  you said from teh head it was a 1275,
> but
> >this plate was on the block....I winder what I really
> have
> >here...I need to look again in the morning...
>
> It is possible you have a 1275 head on a 1098 block. Look
> under the heat
> shield and see if there are side covers on the block. If
> you have a
> block plate that says 1100, then that's a pretty good
> indication. Is
> there any number plate on the block (under #1 cylinder).
> What the
> number? I can tell you more form that.
no....no plate there at all....

> >I'm thinking of taking off the head and having a look at
>
> >the cyl. walls for condition...than if I can drop teh
> pan
> >and tako off the big end bolts, I can push up the
> pistons
> >and have a look....have you done this ever?
>
> That you can do. I've only done it with the engine out
> (on a stand). I
> know what I'm going to find, and it's easier to do with
> the engine out.
true...and with the engine hoist, it's a purty quick job...

> >maybe I should just do as you say and let the sick pup
> sit
> >until there is more $$ available, but I hate to just sit
>
> >and do nothing! I guess I really should pull out the
> engine
> >hoist and just pull the puppy? I no longer have a engine
>
> >stand, but as it's a purty small engine, I could put it
> on
> >the bench for rebuild, but hate doing that. I think I
> will
> >call my friend who was talking of getting rid of his
> stand,
> >as it's closer than driving up to Santa rosa to get the
> one
> >from my dad......
> >

> >Oh! what do you think about the extremely high reading
> in
> >#4??? What is good comp in one of these engines? I had
> >giessed 150# or so?
>

> I usually do a leak down test which tells me more about
> the problem.
Yeah! I guess I shoulda done that....I did that on the
RL-250 right after working on the midget...and it held 150#
for over a half hour.....I'll check the midget in the
morning...but as I ahve not done this for sooo long...just
checking to confirm the correct way....I ahve to admit that
I have not been doing much mechanicing for a couple
years...it's al rushing back as i wrench on three rovers, a
midget, the Duc and the Zuke all at once...(and to think I
just sold three vehicles...there were more a couple months
ago...an starting to question my sanity in selling the audi
adn teh ranger as they were teh newest and best cond of all
my vehicles....but now I don't hae the car payments at
least....)

Paul
http://taxes.yahoo.com/