Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!

To: Paul Archibald <androbus@yahoo.com>, Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 23:04:57 -0700
>> >Is there any chance you can take off the head and drop
>> teh
>> >pan with the block still bolted in?
>
>> ...and do what? The pistons won't come out the bottom,
>> even if you could
>> get the crank out of your way with the engine in place
>> (you can't).
>???????  No Comprende!   the bottom?????

Misread your question, I thought you said just remove the pan.

>pull the head, as it can prolly do with a quickie valve lap
>job while off at the cost of just a head gasket, manifold
>gasket, and what else? I guess valve-stem seals too...
>
>than drop the pan, unbolt the big-end bearings, than simply
>push up the pistons 'til they pop out the top  (remember my
>comment about the ridge reamer above.....obviously give all
>four a once over before pushing up the piston..)......than
>a quickine hone of the cylinder walls, followed by a good
>cleaning of any debris...followed by installation of either
>new pistons, or the origionals with fresh rings......slap
>on the fresh head gasket, head, manifolds etc...and
>violincello!  ;-)   (Always wondered why the viola always
>gets all teh attention...why not basoon or Obo?) ;-)
>no?  ;-/

I'd mic the jounals too while you're in there. You'll either get lucky and
be able to just replace bearings, or at least know the condition of you
can't. You won't be able to remove the front main cap without pulling the
timing cover and gears though. There are two set screws the pass through
the front mounting bracket. I don't think you can remove the rear one with
the back plate in plce either.

>> number? I can tell you more form that.
>no....no plate there at all....

You'll need to mic the journal for size then, There are two size mains.
Early were 1.75" (same as 948) and later were 2.0" (same as 1275)

>Yeah! I guess I shoulda done that....I did that on the
>RL-250 right after working on the midget...and it held 150#
>for over a half hour.....I'll check the midget in the
>morning...but as I ahve not done this for sooo long...just
>checking to confirm the correct way....

If you have the two gauge unit, compare pressure in to pressure out. You
should have no more than a 10 percent drop. If I remember correctly, you
want each cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Listen where the air
is escaping... exhaust manifold (exhaust valves), carbs (intake valves),
valve cover (oil filler) radiator (bubbling), crankcase (rings).

Gerard