Convertable Tops/Tonneau cover

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Convertable Tops/Tonneau cover
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:31:41 -0700
Just some general info,
I've been wanting a nice top with a zip out rear window for my 74 Midget.  I
wound up ordering one from Little British Car Co., along with a full Tonneau
cover made out of the top of the line stuff (stayfast?) cloth.  While I've
installed several Amco tops uneventfully, and a Crown, they came either
premarked, or with snaps installed.  The fabric top wasn't marked, so I
wasn't going to risk it.  I hired a local upholstery shop where I've had
alot of work done.  The end result of the top is fantastic.  The material is
actually German, same as on Mercedes.  Can't figure out why a top made in
England uses German fabric, but it is nice just the same.  However, the
upholstery shop said it was a real nightmare to install (I kinda figured it
would be, that's why I paid him...).
While I'm ecstatic about the top, the Toneau leaves something to be desired.
I've been using what I think was a OEM Toneau.  It had a zipper on each side
that ran behind each headrest pocket to within a foot of the center.  It
also had two lift dot fasteners positioned so that when stowed, it would
snap down behind the seats.  The new fabric one is made of the same high
quality fabric at the top, and looks very good.  The down side is that it
has huge headrest pockets, located too far back.  The steering wheel pocket
is also huge.  No lift the dot fasteners or provision for them to secure it
in the open position, and finally, the side zippers are only about 4" long,
and run to the front of the headrest pockets.  I'm getting used to it, but I
wish it had been designed the same as the OEM cover.

Bottom line:  The top is excellent, if difficult to install without any
markings or pre-fitted snaps.
The Tonneau could be better.
Oh, and the zip down rear window is really  cool.  Come summer when it is
100 degrees plus, it is nice to actually put the top up, and still have
airflow.

For a much less expensive top, the Crown top I bought off of ebay (the guy
lists them all the time) was the easiest top I've ever installed, and came
with all of the snaps and tenax fasteners pre-installed.  It was $135+15 for
shipping.

The fabric top and Tonneau combined was about $650+250 for installation.

David Riker
74 Midget
77 Midget