Is my tank half full or half empty

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Is my tank half full or half empty
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:12:13 -0700 (PDT)
An interesting philosphical questions was presented to
me tonight. Bugsy's fuel gauge reads empty, dead empty
with the needle trying to go ever lower still. While
underneath the rear end yesterday I noticed that the
Black Ground Wire coming from the sender was hanging
loose not conencted to a ground. Thinking that was the
source of the problem I grounded that connenction
properly and voila I saw the fuel gauge move, and
move, and move and try to run off of the other end of
the scale. So which is better half full as I know the
tank is or half empty which I know it is also.

Now someone mentioned to me something about electrical
power being reversed going to the sender unit. Power
needs to go to the ground in this case as the sender
is a relic of previous positive ground design. I'm not
sure how to interpret that. Bugsy is a '68 set up for
negative ground. He does have a '66 1098 engine and
when I got him from the P.O. the generator had not
been repolarized for negative ground. I did that part
correctly when I first got Bugsy and all parts and
pieces of the electrical system seem to be working
correctly.

My interpretation of this problem is that I've got a
bad fuel sender unit. Cheap to replace but a PITA to
drop the tank to replace the sender unit. Any ideas.

Any problem with leaving things hooked up as is so
gauge shows full.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH
http://games.yahoo.com/