Re: Headers for a Midget 1500

To: w.gilroy@verizon.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headers for a Midget 1500
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:47:07 EDT
In a message dated 03/06/02 7:33:55 AM, w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

<< Subject sort of says it all.  I am in the market for new headers for my
77 Midget with a 1500 engine.  I am looking for recommendations or
brands to stay away from.  Also things like I purchased my Acme brand
header and it require a BFH to fit, I had to bend the body back.

Bill,
I recently installed a Monza header (and muffler) on my 79.  This was my
first "big project" on this car.  I was replacing the stock manifold that had
cracked.  If you have access to a grinder then I suppose that it would be a
fairly easy job.  The header did not quite line up with the bolts that go
into the head and, I have a weber, the intake manifold did not clear the
exhaust.  These were easily remedied by Chuck with a grinder, took about 1/2
hour to make sure that enough was ground away.  Other than that the only real
pain is getting to the two center bolts on the underside of the manifold (and
header) loose and tightened, is a very time consuming job.
I think that the difference in performance is worth the price, the car now
really just jumps to 4500 rpm and quickly moves to the red line.
I returned a two piece header because it looked as if it was going to be a
real PITA to get it installed under the car.  I don't remember who the
manufacturer was.
JP
John Poynton
79 Midget "Yellow Fever"