Re: Blew a rod

To: Carter Tuggle <goutvols2@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: Blew a rod
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:31:12 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Carter Tuggle wrote:
> He says by listening it sounds like I have blown a rod.

A blown rod or a bad rod bearing?
If it was a faint knock and got louder but is still not hammering away,
it's probably just a rod bearing.
1500s are notorious for wearing out rod bearings rather quickly.
I believe you can drop the pan on a 1500 while it's still in the car as
your mechanic said. If this is true, you can also replace the bearings
without pulling the engine.
This would be the "cheap fix".
But if the engine is coming out, why not do the rings, thrust washers,
rods and mains, along with the clutch. Throw in a valve job and you have
a rebuilt engine. This is NOT the "cheap fix".
If everything else is OK, just replace the rod bearings.
If you did indeed "Blow a rod"...did it come out the side of the engine?
did it go thru a piston? If the engine still runs and doesn't miss, I
bet it's just a worn  or spun bearing, if it spun, the crank may have to
come out and get cut, now the engine has to come out.

Good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ