Re: Blew a rod

To: Carter Tuggle <goutvols2@mchsi.com>
Subject: Re: Blew a rod
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:54:21 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
It's entirely possible that the rod is fine, and that all you really
need is new bearings (main, rods and thrust washers.  The job can be
done on the 1500 Midget with the engine in the car, though your mechanic
will probably say it's a bad idea.  See:

http://members.core.com/~ckotting/1500_bearings.html

The 1500 engine is notorious for eating its rod bearings, thrust washers
and main bearings.  The rest of the engine can be in prime shape, and
the bearings will be too sloppy to keep oil pressure.

BTW: What's your oil pressure?  If it's too much below 20 pounds at
idle, bearings are a good guess.

Chris K.